Quoted: "If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word." - Margaret Atwood
If you go to Starbucks this week: the free book download is Amber Mcree Turner's SWAY, a magical, lovely, bittersweet, DELIGHTFUL middle grade read. Just FYI. :)
Hey all! Happy 2013! Lately, I've seen this definition floating around on tumblr:
... but I don't think I'm quite embracing it just yet.
Because so far in 2013...
* I've battled a fearsome headcold that will not vacate. Just when I think it's gone, it comes back. Its a ninja-cold. This is happening with lots of folks right? It seems like everybody is flu-like right now.
*I've met up with my favorite artist for pizza.
My favorite artist/the unbelievably adorable guy in that photo is my nephew, Andy. Technically ... we ate pizza together a week or so before 2013. But he's nine today (9!!!) so I couldn't resist posting a pic. I'm going to try not to be too goofy and teary when I call him later. But NINE!!! His smile is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. And I'm serious about the art - the boy's got talent. He's the creator of my favorite superhero, Mini Mandy. He also made a superhero out of me - NatGirl is the size of a gnat, with little bug-wings and dark rimmed glasses. Even though she's little, she can fly crazy-fast. She's so fabulous. (But Andy is more fabulous.)
* I've done The Writing and The Revising and The More Writing and The More Revising
* I've eaten Nutella straight from the jar. #Boss
*I've worn my Jem & The Holograms t-shirt. Outside the comforts of my home. Because it's truly, truly, truly outrageous.
* I've exhausted myself watching Les Miserables. Seriously, don't worry about setting workout goals for the new year. You can just go see Les Miserables instead. Watching that movie is like running on an emotional treadmill for hours. You'll need a nap when you're done. I was so anxious during the movie, that I burned off the entire box of Sour Jacks as I ate them.* (*Probably.) Hugh! ANNE! Eddie! And when the soldiers stormed the barricade and Enjorlas hoisted the flag above his head all brave and defiant and handsome? Guh. I nearly came out of my seat. The theater applauded at the end. It's fun when that happens isn't it?
* I watched Downton Abbey. I was going to post some quick thoughts, but I think I'll save my brilliant and astute analysis for later this week.
* And! I got bangs!
They're fun. When I wear my glasses, I feel kind of like the nerdy girl in Scooby Doo.
... I don't know if any of that adds up to annus mirabilis just yet.
But this still feels like a good day to write about miracles. Maybe because this day feels like a good day to write. The sky is pale blue and sunlight is sparkling off the grass outside my window. The coffee-maker is gurgling. Biscuit is snuggled up beside me, snoozing quite happily. Chris Thile is singing to me through the speaker. Most importantly, I'm about to read through some notes
I like that kind of messy.
And I like any kind of miracle.
Here's to a year of wonder and miracles and enough sensitivity to see them as they open my days and sneak right in. :)
Have you seen Les Miserables yet? Beyond the barricade, was there a world you longed to see? ;) Get any new books for Christmas? I have a big deadline at the end of this month, so I might be very sporadic with the blogging for a while. Feel free to pop back in and let me know how you're doing though! I hope your year is straight-up mirabilis!