Thursday, September 26, 2013

introducing felicity juniper pickle!

Listening To: Live and Die by The Avett Brothers

Today has been the sweetest day. The sun is shining. The weather is not boiling, finally. The coffee is brewing. The Avett Brothers are singing to me. (I mean, they're not actually *here* singing to me. But I'm listening to them sing. And a girl can dream, you savvy?) 

And I am super excited to finally show you Felicity's swanky jacket! 

Friends, welcome to Midnight Gulch. :) 


*SQUEALS* :) 

In the words of my beloved editor, "the cuteness is out of control." I want to live there. Also, I want that ice cream on the cover. 

The cover of A SNICKER OF MAGIC was illustrated by Gilbert Ford, a crazy-talented artist who has illustrated (and written) lots of awesome books. THREE TIMES LUCKY, one of my most favorite novels (!!!), was illustrated by Gilbert. If you'd like to read more about his work, here's his website. This book was also made cute by the incredible savvy of Nina Goffi and Starr Mayo. They all deserve a lifetime supply of Dr. Zooks Ice Cream. (When you read the novel, you'll realize this is the highest of compliments.) 

I can't wait for you to see the full jacket. When I saw the shadowy silhouettes of my characters on the back-cover (!!!), I. Flipped. Out. It's so bright and whimsical and fun! 

Here's a bit more about Felicity: 


--- 

Midnight Gulch used to be a magical place, a town where people could sing up thunderstorms and dance up sunflowers. But that was long ago, before a curse drove the magic away. Twelve-year-old Felicity knows all about things like that; her nomadic mother is cursed with a wandering heart.

But when she arrives in Midnight Gulch, Felicity thinks her luck's about to change. A "word collector," Felicity sees words everywhere---shining above strangers, tucked into church eves, and tangled up her dog's floppy ears---but Midnight Gulch is the first place she's ever seen the word "home." And then there's Jonah, a mysterious, spiky-haired do-gooder who shimmers with words Felicity's never seen before, words that make Felicity's heart beat a little faster.

Felicity wants to stay in Midnight Gulch more than anything, but first, she'll need to figure out how to bring back the magic, breaking the spell that's been cast over the town . . . and her mother's broken heart.

--- 

A Snicker of Magic is up for pre-order now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. If you pre-order it, let me know, because I WILL HUG YOU so hard. Unless you don't like hugs. Then we'll just high-five or whatever. The book will be in stores on February 25, 2014. Between now, and then, I have lots of fun things to share. And give away. 

But before we get to all that, I must tell you this: 

I hope your copy of A SNICKER OF MAGIC doesn't look exactly like the cute picture above. I hope it looks coffee-stained and dog-eared and tattered. I hope you eat ice cream while you read the book, and accidentally dribble it all over the pages. I hope the story sticks together and maybe sticks in your heart for a little while, too. 

Happy, happy weekending to you! :) 

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Your cover is ridiculously cute! I might have just teared up a little after reading this post...I'm so excited for you. :) And for the rest of us, because I can't wait to read your book! I'm going to preorder as soon as possible (as in, as soon as I pay off the books I just ordered a few weeks ago :).

    When you mentioned that the cover art was done by the same illustrator who did one of your favorite books, I immediately racked my brain for books that I remember that you loved. Then it hit me...Three Times Lucky! I had read that book after you wrote about it and loved it, too. So I snooped around a bit on Gilbert Ford's website and I was *so* hoping he was who you were talking about! :) His covers are gorgeous. I added several of the books he's illustrated to my to-read list because they look so interesting (the sequel to Three Times Lucky looks awesome!).

    Anyway, your cover is adorable, you are awesome, and February 25th can't get here fast enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that you figured out the illustrator! Yippee!! When my editor told me who was doing it, I was in the library, and I flopped down into the floor and sighed. ;) I still can't believe it is actually a book-shaped story now! So fun and surreal. I can't wait for you to see it :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! So fun to see you comment on here! : )

      Delete
  3. Congrats Natalie, I LOVE it!! Can't wait to own this book! After your reading, I will forever hear your cute voice as her voice. It was a perfect fit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara! :) I am so, so very relieved to hear my southern twang didn't ruin the story-voice for you. *chuckles* :) Thanks for this sweet compliment. I am counting the days until DEFY. Alexa had me from the first line. Gah!

      Delete
  4. Congrats Natalie!! The cover looks amazing and I'm so very excited for you...can't wait to get my hands on it :D
    -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mandy! I hope you like it. The cover is even cuter in person!! :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! This looks fun and I am very excited for you, though we haven't met yet. :) (I just followed a friend's link from Twitter, and thought it looked lovely.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to meet you, Julie! :) Thanks for your kind compliment!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Your cover looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Natalie! Paperdoll changed my life and is honestly one of my favourite books---it blew my mind away(L). I'm looking forward to reading this, your writing is genius! You're an amazinggg author:P My favourite part of Brio/Susie/Sisterhood Mag was your His Time section (L).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just preordered! :) And I'm so excited for you and to read this book! It might be time to reread Paperdoll. God has given you a wonderful gift for writing and of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I love A Snicker of Magic! Felicity is such a good role model. She is spindiddly and splendiferous! I was wondering what these words look like to Felicity: Sunshine, Morning, Sky, and Light ( as in sunlight, not the opposite of heavy). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete